Make these Shrimp Veggie Tacos in 4 easy steps for a quick and healthy dinner.
These shrimp tacos are light but filling and perfect for the summer! This recipe is from my Spring 4-Week Meal Plan but the recipes are all so perfect for summer. I love that the ingredients are fresh and colorful. Definitely a fun way to get in your veggies for the day. Plus, they are FAST to make and perfect for those busy nights or lazy nights when the last thing you want to do is make dinner!
I love making tacos when we have friends over for dinner too. It’s a quick dish to make, a crowd pleaser because you can easily tailor the taco to your liking, and clean up is super fast. Make some guacamole, serve with tortilla chips and dinner is complete.
What Goes in a Shrimp Taco?
The beauty of tacos is that the possibilities are endless. You can load your tacos any way you want but here’s what’s in these tacos:
Shrimp: A given of course. Shrimp is so easy to cook and super yummy when you add seasoning. This recipe calls for cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt.
Purple Cabbage: Purple cabbage is not only pretty in color but has a lot of phytonutrients. Loaded with antioxidants, Vitamin C, and Vitamin K.
Orange Bell Pepper: You can use any color of bell pepper you want but I love the sweetness orange bell peppers have. Plus, they are loaded with Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and potassium.
Fresh Avocado: I love adding avocado to my food because it adds a creamy element. Avocados are high in fat, the good fat, which will keep you feeling fuller longer.
Final Toppings: Green onions and fresh cilantro and perfect for adding a little extra flavor and texture to a dish.
Tips For Cooking Shrimp:
If you’ve never cooked shrimp before you may be feeling a bit intimidated. But I promise, shrimp is so easy to make. I cheat a little and often buy shrimp cooked, deveined, and with the shell off so it’s basically just reheating it! But if you buy uncooked shrimp here are some tips to cooking it.
If you use frozen shrimp make sure it’s completely thawed. You can place them in a colander in the sink and run cold water over them for about 5 minutes.
Shrimp starts off grey and translucent. You’ll know when they’re done cooking when they are completely opaque and pink in color.
You can buy cooked or uncooked shrimp for this recipe but I do recommend that you buy shrimp that’s already deveined with the shell off so prepping is simpler.
Shrimp cooks very fast, think 4-5 minutes, depending on how big the shrimp is, so you are going to want to keep your eye on them.
Stir the shrimp frequently. When you no longer see grey, translucent bits the shrimp is done.
How do You Make Shrimp Tacos?
The beauty of this recipe is that it’s easy and simple. I’m a busy mama and I don’t love spending hours in the kitchen when it comes dinner time. But I do love a yummy meal so easy and simple recipes are my jam.
Cook the shrimp: Make sure your shrimp is completely thawed and drained. Add shrimp to a skillet and add in the spices to flavor it up.
Chop the veggies: This can be done ahead of time if you want to do a little prepping ahead. Chop the cabbage, bell pepper, green onion, and cilantro. Leave the avocado until you’re ready to serve so it’s nice and fresh.
Heat the corn tortillas: If you’re using corn tortillas they can be a little stiff and easily fall apart so I recommend heating them up in the microwave. All you do is wrap the tortilla shells in a paper towel and microwave for 30-40 seconds until soft.
Assemble the tacos: Top each shell with cabbage, bell peppers, shrimp, cilantro, green onion, and avocado.
If you’re looking for more easy weeknight dinner ideas check out these:
Shrimp Veggie Tacos
12 oz shrimp (cooked, deveined, shell off)
1 cup purple cabbage, sliced thinly
1/2 avocado, diced
1 green onion, sliced
1/4 cup, cilantro, chopped
1 orange bell pepper, diced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 -1/2 tsp salt
8 corn tortillas
1. Add shrimp to skillet and cook over medium-high heat. Add in cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt and stir until shrimp is coated.
2. Cook for 5-6 minutes until shrimp is warmed through.
3. While the shrimp is cooking, chop cabbage, avocado, green onion, cilantro, and bell peppers.
4. When shrimp is done drain excess juice.
5. Wrap corn tortillas in a paper towel and place in microwave for 30-40 seconds until soft.
6. Assemble tacos layering cabbage, peppers, shrimp, avocado, cilantro, and green onions on each tortilla shell.
- prep time: 5 to 10 minutes
- cook time: 4 to 5 minutes
- total time: 9 to 15 minutes
- 12 oz shrimp (cooked, deveined, shell off)
- 1 cup purple cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup, cilantro, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 -1/2 tsp salt
- 8 corn tortillas
- Add shrimp to skillet and cook over medium-high heat. Add in cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt and stir until shrimp is coated.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes until shrimp is warmed through.
- While the shrimp is cooking, chop cabbage, avocado, green onion, cilantro, and bell peppers.
- When shrimp is done drain excess juice.
- Wrap corn tortillas in a paper towel and place in microwave for 30-40 seconds until soft.
- Assemble tacos layering cabbage, peppers, shrimp, avocado, cilantro, and green onions on each tortilla shell.